Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Just a thought...

I really love that I live in an LDS dominated culture, work at a church among Christians, work at a restaurant with some of the most anti-"anything having to do with God or religion" bunch I've ever met, and work for a non-profit with a Christian Indian man born a Hindu in a Hindu and Muslim nation.

There is not a lot of diversity in Salt Lake City, but I feel like I get to taste a little bit of it in all my different arenas of work and play. And as for Amitabh, my boss at Calcutta Mercy Ministries, I got to spend some quality time with him this morning, and that forced me to think about a lot of this.

Today, I watched a video that Amitabh was editing for the website in which he told of his story of coming to know Christ as his Savior and of his wedding to wife, Susan. Amitabh mentioned in the video that when he became a Christian a friend said, "What will your Christian name be? Maybe it should be Phillip." And Amitabh replied, "But I like my name. My parents gave it to me and I like it." I thought... stupid westerners. We think Christianity means being western, but the absolute glory of Christianity is that it is relevant to everyone, everywhere. No particular nation can claim that Christ is most relevant to them. Except maybe Israel (but aren't we all heirs now?) - but definitely not America. I'm glad Amitabh was smart enough to realize that he was a Christian, his name was just as "Christian" as Phillip and that he could love Jesus and still hold on to his roots as an Indian. Stupid westerners...

Also, the description and pictures from his wedding were beautiful because they embraced both the Hindu culture in which Amitabh was raised as well as the Christian background that Susan came from. The fusion was pretty awesome!

Pray for: my sister in Guatemala, my upcoming trip to Michigan, the prospect of me living abroad for a few months, and please visit Stop the Traffik to see what you can do to stop human trafficking!

Peace,
Cat

No comments: